As we approach Summer, the threat of mosquitos grows larger. For workers, especially those who work outside or travel, mosquitoes can pose a dangerous threat. Therefore, it is important that you, and your employer, take steps to protect you against the threats mosquitos pose. While, in the United States, it is not common for mosquito-related illnesses to cause death, mosquitos are still able to make a person sick.
At Risk Workers
Because different species of mosquitos inhabit different parts of the United States, those at risk include:
- Those who travel for work
- Outdoor workers
- Healthcare workers who may be handling infected patients
- Those who work with infected samples
Each of these areas has the possibility, some higher risk than others, of contracting mild to life threatening mosquito based diseases.
Keeping Your Employees Safe
It is important that steps are taken to ensure that employees are provided a safe environment to work in. Therefore, consider the following steps to ensure that mosquitos look the other way:
- Stop mosquitos from breeding by eliminating
- properly store equipment
- remove debris (from ditches, holes, and trenches)
- remove areas that collect stagnant water (tires, buckets, barrels, bottles)
- ensure proper drainage away from worksite
- If working indoors, ensure that all doors and windows are outfitted with proper screens
- Give worker training
- the risk mosquitos pose
- symptoms of mosquito based diseases
- proper use of insecticide and repellent
- encourage workers to wear proper clothing that
covers the whole body
- in particularly bad areas, encourage workers to wear a net that covers their face
- provide repellents with an EPA registered active
ingredient (DEET, picaridin, IR3535, oil of lemon, eucalyptus,
- it is vital that workers have proper training when handling repellent to avoid injury
Keeping Yourself Safe
While it is extremely important that your employer helps to maintain the office space or jobsite, it is equally important that you are able to take care of yourself as well.
- If you are provided repellents, do not be afraid
to use them
- FOLLOW LABEL INSTRUCTIONS
- Permethrin can be applied to clothing and gear
- If using skin based insect repellent, but you are also using sunscreen, apply the insect repellent first
- Wear clothing that covers the entire body and extremities (hands), and consider wearing hats that have built in nets to protect the face and neck
- Help remove stagnant water from office space or jobsite
- If you begin to encounter symptoms of a mosquito related illness, or notice a coworker experiencing similar health issues, do not hesitate to inform a supervisor and get medical attention
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this information, do not hesitate to reach out to us! Accurate Pest Control is certified in handling mosquito related issues and will handle the issue professionally and safely.
With the arrival of Spring, despite the cold weather as of late, brings the arrival of mosquitoes. Mosquitoes, perhaps the most annoying insect to deal with, are extremely dangerous due to their tendency to spread a variety of diseases, some even capable of death. It is important that you arm yourself with the proper ways to deal with these pests, in order to protect yourself and your family.
Protecting Your Home
Before opening your windows to let the nice Spring breeze in and cool down your house, make sure each window is outfitted with screens. If you open your windows without a properly fitted screen, you are unintentionally inviting, not just mosquitoes, but numerous other pests into your home. Therefore, before opening your windows during the Spring, make sure screens are installed and are free from any tears or rips. Furthermore, ensure all cracks and holes in the house are sealed off as well.
Protecting your Yard
Mosquitoes are most prominent, and most annoying, in one’s back yard. This is not only because it provides them with a steady source of food (pets and humans), but it also provides them with a safe, reliable breeding ground. After mating, the female mosquito will search for stagnant water (clogged gutters, planters or pots, toys, bird baths, open trash cans, puddles) in the immediate area. In order to prevent mosquitoes from setting up camp in your backyard, consider the following:
- Citronella Repellant Candles – while proven to provide some relief, this method is not reliable on windy days.
- Natural Plants – consider panting rosemary, catnip, marigolds, and citronella in your backyard.
- Bug Sprays – sold at most retail locations, bug sprays are another effective way of dealing with mosquitoes but will not provide lasting relief and will need to be done every few weeks. This also include bug spray that is safe for skin contact, which can help relieve an individual from mosquitoes for a short time.
- Foggers – while not recommended for individual use, if you do decide to use this method, it is extremely important that you read and follow ALL instructions. This method will provide most lasting relief and can kill on contact.
Consider the Professionals
While we understand wanting to resolve this issue on your own, we encourage you to reach out to us for help, if you require assistance! We use proven methods known to reliably remove mosquitoes from your property while keeping your family’s safety as priority. If you have any questions regarding our methods and availability, do not hesitate to reach out to us! At Accurate Pest Control, we ensure the job is done properly, while keeping your family’s safety as our top priority.