Winter has a habit of bringing unwanted house guests. Rats have quite the criminal history as well. Rats carry a variety of diseases and contagions that can harm you and your family. This risk of illness rises exponentially for children. Therefore it is important that steps are taken to keep them away from your home at all costs.
Crafting Your Defense!
In order to create a strong defense, one must be aware of and understand why rats may be attracted to your home in the first place. First and foremost, it is the warmth and shelter your home provides for them. The winter season is harsh for everyone, and this does not exclude rodents. Winter also brings a lack of food; however, it just so happens that your home is constantly supplied with all kinds of different foods, allowing even the pickiest rats to target your home. To deter rats from targeting your home during the winter is it important that you:
- With food and drinks left out for days, spills not cleaned, and plates not cleaned, rats will take this as an open invitation to “help” you.
- Secure Garbage Cans
- Leaving your trash can uncovered, or throwing trash bags in the alley or street with no can is not only disrespectful to your neighbors, but it is also a for sure way of attracting rats
- Easy Entry
- It is vital, not only to prevent rats, but all kinds of infestations, that easy access to the home is eliminated. Patch cracks in the walls, place fine mesh wire under porches, eliminated areas that could be utilized for nesting.
Keeping the Pests at Bay
As always, it is easier to take prevent the infestation than eliminate it once it has begun. Therefore, to eliminate a severe headache in the future, it is important to invest in a strong defense before rats become an issue. Constructing a strong defense includes:
- If there is a steady leak outside the house it is important that it is fixed as soon as possible, especially during the warmer months. Many animals will take advantage of the free drink, including unwanted ones.
- Trimming tree branches is extremely important, especially if they are close to the home. These tree branches can be used as jumping points to reach the house. Furthermore, if there are vines on the side of the house, ensure these are removed for they can be used as climbing points.
- Ensure the yard is also free of debris
- Pet Food
- Ensure that all pet food is seal away in a container made of glass or metal.
- Firewood stacks can and will be used as a shelter, therefore, ensure that it is far away from the home.
Now armed with a strong defensive, act! Following these steps in this guide will help you protect yourself and your family from disease and other illness that rats carry. If you are worried that you may have an infestation or have questions, call Accurate Pest Control! Your pest issues are our pest issues, and we will handle the situation without putting you or your family at risk!