With the arrival of Spring, despite the cold weather as of late, brings the arrival of mosquitoes. Mosquitoes, perhaps the most annoying insect to deal with, are extremely dangerous due to their tendency to spread a variety of diseases, some even capable of death. It is important that you arm yourself with the proper ways to deal with these pests, in order to protect yourself and your family.
Threats Mosquitoes Pose
It should be no surprise that mosquitos can be harbingers of numerous different diseases. Therefore, it is important that you know the different diseases that can spread so, in the event the worst does occur, you can be more prepared to take the necessary actions.
In the United States, the most prevalent diseases are:
- West Nile Virus (The #1 Mosquito-Borne Threat to America)
- Dog Heartworm
However, in the past couple of years, other diseases have become prevalent, such as:
- Zika Virus
- Dengue fever
Each of these diseases poses a serious threat to US residents and should be treated as such. However, there is not much a single person can do about preventing these diseases from befalling them. Therefore, it is extremely important to be well informed of the diseases, in order to be better able to react when yourself or a loved one becomes infected. To read more about these diseases, Vector Disease Control International has an amazing article to assist with obtaining proper knowledge.
Protecting Your Home
Before opening your windows to let the nice Spring breeze in and cool down your house, make sure each window is outfitted with screens. If you open your windows without a properly fitted screen, you are unintentionally inviting, not just mosquitoes, but numerous other pests into your home. Therefore, before opening your windows during the Spring, make sure screens are installed and are free from any tears or rips. Furthermore, ensure all cracks and holes in the house are sealed off as well.
Protecting your Yard
Mosquitoes are most prominent, and most annoying, in one’s back yard. This is not only because it provides them with a steady source of food (pets and humans), but it also provides them with a safe, reliable breeding ground. After mating, the female mosquito will search for stagnant water (clogged gutters, planters or pots, toys, birdbaths, open trash cans, puddles) in the immediate area. In order to prevent mosquitoes from setting up camp in your backyard, consider the following:
- Citronella Repellant Candles – while proven to provide some relief, this method is not reliable on windy days.
- Natural Plants – consider panting rosemary, catnip, marigolds, and citronella in your backyard.
- Bug Sprays – sold at most retail locations, bug sprays are another effective way of dealing with mosquitoes but will not provide lasting relief and will need to be done every few weeks. This also includes bug spray that is safe for skin contact, which can help relieve an individual from mosquitoes for a short time.
- Foggers – while not recommended for individual use, if you do decide to use this method, it is extremely important that you read and follow ALL instructions. This method will provide the most lasting relief and can kill on contact.
Consider the Professionals
While we understand wanting to resolve this issue on your own, we encourage you to reach out to us for help, if you require assistance! We use proven methods known to reliably remove mosquitoes from your property while keeping your family’s safety as a priority. If you have any questions regarding our methods and availability, do not hesitate to reach out to us! At Accurate Pest Control, we ensure the job is done properly while keeping your family’s safety as our top priority. To find out more about Accurate Pest Control, visit our About Us page!